Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How to get kids to CLEAN UP after themselves

Hey-
This is to all mothers out there who are sick and tired of nagging their kids to pick up after themselves.  No more nagging for you!  This is a solution you may or may not find helpful.  I've been implementing it around here (I'm living with 6 kids ages 1-15 yrs old) and it's incredible how things have changed.  The best part? I'm not the bad guy anymore- and no nagging.  Here's what you do...

Anything the kids leave around (Ramen Noodle packets, crunchy chip crumbs, forks, shoes, clothing, ANYTHING) you simply pick it up and put it under their pillow.  I did this w my nieces and nephews and left a note saying something like:

"I waited for you to put me away, but so still I sat all night and all day,
In the morning you must have seen me alone, cold on the counter as still as a stone...
I longed for the comfort of my refrigerator, will you put me back now? I'll see you later!"

This went on and escalated to the point of putting Tabasco sauce and a bowl of chips under one kid's pillow.  He thought this went too far... but I did NOT.  The only thing I didn't regret was that I didn't get a photo.  heheheheh.

No comments: