Photography Blog
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Toot my own horn (sorry)
So today marks the second time I ventured to make the 7.5 mile jog to the beach from where we live in NY. I've been jogging a lot with the girls and we all love it. One more reason I love the fact that I have a Phil & Teds Stroller. The trip takes me about 3 hours total, including beach time. Total running time 1.5 hours (I can't seem to break the 12 minute mile pushing 2 kids...) I've never done anything like this- and I'm really proud of myself (toot toot) because I've HATED running my whole life, and now I suddenly find myself CRAVING the freedom of running. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that ipods were invented and I've started listening to conference talks while I run. I'm not even joking- you should try this. It's incredible. Several times I have been jogging and crying at the same time because I am able to hear an inspiring talk while I'm exercising. I know it sounds weird, but seriously... It's so much more effective at distracting the mind than music (and I am an extreme music lover) and it's like getting 2 things done at once. For some reason the body and spirit exercising at the same time seriously seems to amplify the effect you get from exercising- so the natural high you feel is doubly cool. Anyway, if any one exercises, you can download the talks at the LDS website:
http://lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-851,00.html
(as a trial, just download the talks by Jeffery R. Holland and Susan W. Tanner= my faves.)
Here's some footage of our day :)
The part where Addie is on the phone was cute because while we were at the beach hangin' Addie's friends, Lina and Ruthie, called and they all talked/babbled together. Thanks for remembering us!
P.S. Does anyone know how to avoid the migraine headache I get every time I run in the sun??? I try to hydrate like crazy before, during and after the run, but I start feeling the nausea and behind-the-eyes-and-head-pain come on EVERY time regardless.... Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
good for you for being a proactive exerciser!!
My advice for stopping the pain is to stop running. Feel free not to take it :P
You've made me excited to try running again, although I have no desire to attempt a marathon or even run longer than the 30 minutes it takes me to give myself some exercise-therapy. I've always run more for spiritual/emotional reasons than for physical ones.
Phil & Ted should win a Nobel Peace Prize or something.
i don't do this, but wear a visor. i hear they work, i just can't stand to have stuff on my head while i run. and you're a trooper...i think i've only ever gone 6 miles with the jogger and both girls before getting run into the ground.
You are AWESOME!!!! Way to go on your running! It was so fun to watch you and your beautiful little girls!! Man I miss you guys! It stinks that we only see each other so rarely. I seriously love your stroller! I have no advice for the migraines, but I am so sorry. Those are horrible. Good luck with that.
i hate running too, so you're amazing! i'd suggest taking a couple excedrin before you run...that stuff almost always gets rid of my migraines.
The only thing I can suggest is stay hydrated, take a bottle of water with you in the stroller. Jeff suggested Keep a record of the circumstances, timing, weather, air quality, food intake, stress level, exercise intensity and duration of exercise, along with the occurrence, severity, and quality of headaches, over a period of time. Look for patterns and try to modify your routine as associations are made. All things being equal, running without a headache is better than running with one.
I guess thats an engineer's answer if I ever heard one!
Post a Comment