"Do you remember Trapper Keepers??? "
Dan whispered this to me during Sunday School. It was a blast from the past, and also a startling revelation/sneek peek into the mind of my spouse during the church hours.... Anyway, it got me thinking of all sorts of stuff that used to be part of my daily life. Like jelly bracelets, Chinese jump-rope, Bums-up, Head's-down Thumbs-up, Red Rover, charm bracelets, paisley, etc. What do you remember?
13 comments:
That's hilarious! Do you remember Pop-ums...those little stuffed animals that you can turn in to a ball by folding them into their pouch? There we some cool things out there when we were kids.
I used to have this little pink plastic thing on a wristband that had a red diamond on it. You could open it up and pull out a plastic head with real hair, little hands, and then little feet and close the diamond again so it became the body. It was like a little friend on a wristband. They had them for necklaces too. Can't remember what it was called though!
I looked them up and they're actually called Popples. My memory is faulty. It was a long time ago, okay?!
Okay, so I had the little jewel thing she is talking about and Popples. Do you remember Pound Puppies? Also Hello Kitty was it for me!! I had everything Hello Kitty. Thank for the Blast from the Past!! :D
my favorite trapper keeper companion was the fanny pack. and don't forget peg-leg pants and layering florescent socks.
Do you remember Lemon Twists that you tied around your ankle and tried to skip and jump over the lemon.
oh my gosh---Popples! That was it! And I was so sad when it broke. Aw, I miss those days. I think people might look at me weird if I had a little friend on my wristband now though...
ok, just so you know, I am referring to 2 different things in my previous comment (not completely with it after a 19 hour day..)
Posted by Mom:
A lot of things--thank heavens! babysitting for 35 cents an hour, going to the junior prom in a satin blue dress. Not my color but how was I to know?? A History project I did on Japan in High school and my teacher liked it so well he showed it to all the other classes then proceeded to misplace it so I never got it back Boo Hoo! Hanging out three clothes lines, 15 feet long each, of cloth diapers and gathering them in quickly, in Arizona ,when we could see a dust storm coming. Cleaning out poopie diapers in the toilet and then putting them in a clorax solution in the washing machine to rinse and wash. Where was the hand sanitizer when I needed it??? Did I really do that????! Duck feathers all over the back yard. Cold juice bottles in the fridge to use for quiet time in the hot summer days in Arizona. (No sippy cups) A big green bean bag and a flower in the carpet. Family vacations and watching my kids enj oy each other so much. Finding two kids in the windowwell and the panic I felt when no one had seen them in the last 15 minutes. Wheat all over the downstairs floor. Dyhydrated Apricots, reconstituting in the shower drain. Chore charts and purple ribbons on bedroom doors for clean room awards. Clean plate club, tickets for things done on chore charts. Volcanos out of salt dough that bubbled over after adding vinegar and soda. Indian villages out of popcicles sticks and salt dough, mid night term papers and science projects trying to finish, mountains ranches out of salt dough using food coloring for paint. (thank goodness for salt dough)
Tacos for dinner and how fast they went. Niccums mac and cheese and "dip" eggs. Orange cinnimon rolls for breakfast and Indian bread with honey and butter on cold days afterschool. Kids arguing and kids playing and having fun. Messes all over and a clean house on a Saturday night. Clean kids, clean beds, clean house all at one time! It happened once or twice at least! Baseball games, swim meets and lessons, soccer games dances and halloween costumes. Singing.. yes there was lots of that. Dad reading stories in the hall way or singing with his guitar. Life was and still is good. I bet you didn't want that much info. There is more!!!
But I will stop now and go shopping. That brings on more memories. Shopping for two weeks. at a time, planning menus for two weeks, making home made bread, cottage cheese, and butter. chips were a treat and so was a can of pop. This was the 70's. Debbie's broken arm at 11approx., Heidi at about two hitting the corner of wall at grandmas house with her head (butterfly bandages), Travis's rabbit cage injury(me taking the stitches out because the doc to be to rough) Mindi's chin stitches, Angie finger stitches at three, Kimball knocking his front tooth at four later it turned grey, Jeremy's tooth accident in sixth grade (tooth in a milk carton) Ok I'll Stopppppppp!!!!Bye have a good day. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!! LOVE YOU--MOM
Only Heidi will even know what some of these things are...dittos, gouchos, thick tubes of bonnie bell lip smacker, picking crab apples while standing on the blue barrel, neighborhood circus including a paper mache donkey head, a mural of brightly colored mushrooms on the back wall of our house, fruit leather and raisins made by the heat of the AZ sun, pavement so hot it hurt to run across it barefoot, snow so deep two bicycles could be hidden under it, a sheet of ice covering the whole town, chicken pox on cots, watching Land of the Lost on saturdays. The Donny and Marie Osmond Show...hey BTW I heard they are doing a show in Vegas and I heard it was good.... Love Deb
By Heidi-
I can send a few that Deb missed...playing kick the can until 10pm,
rolling down the hill inside the barrel as fast as you could go,
picking walnuts and almonds on Grandma& Grandpa's house. Picking
pomegranites too, and ruining everything I had on, learning to
ride(drive a motercycle and watching Deb do a full blow wheelie),
chile caliente's, stone soup and trick or treating with pillow cases (
1/2 full of candy), my closet size bedroom with the accordian door,
making a real fort..a big one with 2x4's and hammer and nails, jumping
across the canal from side to side, looking for my lost turtle in the
alley behind the house, being sad that we had to leave the tiki,
loosing my "special" mini markers when we moved...definately family
prayer on the flower carpet...everyone had a petal. Dad accidentally
eating a bug that was in the apple crisp-yuk. dad's teeth and wig, the
circus..that was a winner Deb, dont forget the papermache bar bell and
bike riding across a 2x4. I could go on...this is fun... digging a
tunnel around the house because the snow was so high the drift was
coming off the roof! Ice skating outside on real frozen (naturally)
water and Deb;s underwear flying across the locker room...fruit
leather, Bruver Milwer, horseback riding mean horses that tried to
buck me off! Swimming at Debbie Joes and almost being drowned by a
rude 8 year old boy, putting a piece of cardboard in the middle of the
road taking off your shoes and socks and see who could run across the
road while their feet were on fire because of the heat...(the card
board was in case you couldn't make it all the way across in one run),
buying moon-boots at the mall. Throwing up on my desk in 4th grade in
front of the whole class....I will stop now...but this was fun...what
about the car that you had to put into neutral at the stop lights so
it wouldn't die?
Might as well add some more...
The big grey van with bunkbeds, sleeping on the top bunkbed while driving- no one wearing seat belts, the car with the furry interior/ceiling, sitting in back of the stationwagon facing backwards towards the back window, truffle-shuffle, tricking jeremy to put the blanket over his head and bounce around ont he tramp till he caught us... then sneaking inside and watching him through the window. He ended up thinking he heard us and bounced right off the trampoline- only to get caught, mercifully, by the buckle of his pants on a spring... I think Mom got him down. Tatter-tot casserole (my favorite, but Kimball wouldn't eat it), artichokes for birthday dinners, dad always requesting oysters for his bday dinner, McGyver (sp) with Travis, watching heidi make-out on the doorstep, Dad's SHORT, blue robe (I hope you threw that away), mom chewing ice, mindi getting pantsed, 10-cent bottled soda pop, Summer-night basket ball with the spotlight, sleeping out on the tramp....
By Travis:
I forgot most of my childhood…except for when mom was drilling holes in Heidi’s bedroom door because she locked her door, took the phone off the hook in her room and mom was expecting a call from dad that night. We were all looking through the tiny holes left by the drill bit at Heidi sitting on the bed with a stern look of defiance on her face. Swimming at the neighbors pool when the flag on their front yard lamp post was green (I totally pooed in my swimsuit once while swimming and let it drop to the bottom of the deep end). Crabapple juicing in the kitchen and getting scalded by the boiling hot liquid. Lightning hitting the tree in the backyard while in the bathtub and hearing someone scream like they just got murdered. The detached garage collapsing in on the station wagon. Digging a hole in the backyard (to china of course). Camping with dad in the backyard (complete with camp fire) for father and son outing. Making a tree house on the roof on Chris Lane. The demolition derby car in the backyard that we would jump on all the time. making necklaces out of staples ejected from a stapler and bent into links. Shrinky dinks. Spilling honey in the food storage room all over myself. Little Joe and Big Joe and night games in the summer. Making sweet jumps for our bikes. Sleeping on the floor between the bunk beds of the van when Angie tried to drink water on the top bunk by leaning over the side (with only a few inches between your nose and the van ceiling there wasn’t much choice) and most of the water missing her mouth and spilling onto my face and pillow. Mindi and I watching The Love Boat every night to get a good laugh. Tornado warnings and the one that jumped our house. A jar of ash from Mount Saint Helens in my room…now I’m drawing a blank for reals.
Post a Comment