Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Grandpa

My Grandpa was and always will be a hero to me.  He was the only Grandpa I knew, and I love him so much.  He passed away on 10/20/2010.  I will miss him so much.  Throughout my whole life he has been such an example to me.  One of my favorite things about him were his hands.  A few years ago, I shot this photo of his hands so I would never forget them.  I'm so glad I did.

Some people think photos at a funeral are morbid.  I tried to be respectful of all things, so I hope none of the photos offend anyone.  They are really special to me.  I really wanted to remember this special tribute to the greatest Grandpa in the world. 

Cousin Jordan played "Taps" and we all saluted. It was very touching.  The flag was flown at half mast.

Grandpa's comrades gave him the "21 gun salute"


Our family united.

My sweet Grandma accepting the flag that was draped over the casket.  There is a lot of symbolism in the folding of the flag.  It was also very significant and touching.
 I can't even begin to describe my Grandpa.  Every time I start to type I just get frustrated and erase what I've written.  I will just say that words can not express the gratitude and love I feel for him and his example and the love he showed me.  He will always be remembered, and I will look forward to seeing him after my life's work is finished and I join him on the other side.  
Love you G-pa.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You captured the beauty of friends, family, and honor. What a story.

Your talent is a gift from God, he uses you in beautiful ways.

~Anna

Britney said...

These are really neat pictures Ela. You did a really good job at capturing the special moments.

So sorry about your loss.

dixonfamily said...

What a beautiful tribute to him. I love the picture of his hands. Beautiful. I hope you are doing okay. It's always hard to lose someone close to you, even if they lived a long, full life.
Love ya Ang!

colbyanddeniseovery said...

I think the pictures are very respectful. I'm sorry about your loss.

Anonymous said...

As" per usual" (quote from Kimball) you did a great job with this Ang. He loved you so much too you know and knew of your love for him. He was such a great man in all of our lives. We were very lucky to have him. Love you--Have a nice day and know that he may be gone from us physically but he is watching us and involved in all of our lives still. This I know. Listen to your inspired thoughts and if it sound like a grandpa ism it is.
mom

Wunda Girl said...

Thank you for all your warm comments and all your love and support! I am lucky to have friends and family that love me so much.

Wunda Girl said...

Thank you for all your warm comments and all your love and support! I am lucky to have friends and family that love me so much.

jamie said...

so sorry for your loss. those pictures will remain a treasure to you. also, loved catching up on what you've been up to lately. and that couple shoot--loved it!