
So I FINALLY got Dan back for the April Fools joke he played on me 6 years ago. To give a little background, while Dan and I were dating he decided to be funny and play a little "April Fools" joke on his girlfriend. At the time, he worked for the Investigations Division for the County. He had access to all sorts of information. So on April 1st, I get a very official-sounding phone call from the S.L. "Police Dept." from a deputy so and so and to make a long story short, they tapped the phone call and recorded a whole conversation with me and Dan's boss, the whole time convincing me that he was a police officer letting me know that I had an outstanding ticket that I had never paid, and since it was so delinquent I now had a warrant out for my arrest... and if I'd just "calm down a little- it's only a warrant" and so on and so on. They busted out my SS#, my address, the date of my last speeding ticket... The conversation probably lasted 10 minutes, but it probably took off 10 years of my life. Anyway, by the time they let on that they were pranking me I broke down sobbing and Dan was begging my forgiveness for weeks afterwards. Every April Fools Day since then, I've tried to get him back, but he never falls for anything. He's known he's got it coming to him so he's prepared for it every time. EXCEPT this April....
Just to preface..... The week before Dan had visited us, and one of his eyes had a bad, viral infection. (It was basically pink eye- and it doesn't go away with antibiotics and it's really, really contagious.) So he was a little worried that he might infect everyone. So on April 1st, I left a phone message for him saying, "Hey Dan- you'll never guess what WE woke up with this morning!" I know he wouldn't get the message till the end of the day. When he called that night I had a plan. My plan was to come up with a crazy story, then make it crazier and crazier. I would keep going further and further on the scale of ridiculousness until he had no choice but to realize that he was being pranked. I had to get him as good as he got me. Here's how the conversation went when he called me back that night:
D. Hi hon- so did you wake up with an eye infection??? I got your message.
A. Oh did we??? Abigail woke up at 2 am screaming with both eyes totally red and goop coming out of them. Then at 3 am Addie woke up crying and said her eye hurt. Then around 5am I woke up and one of my eyes was totally bothering me.
D. OHhhhhh Nooooo! I knew it! I shouldn't have come visit this last week. I can't believe it!
A. I know- it's crazy, but that's not the half of it. So I took Abigail to the Dr. because her eyes were both infected and she looked horrible- pus oozing out all over the place- and the Dr. swabbed her eye and sent it to the lab to test it. Within an hour she called me to give the results and said that Abigail had contracted a really serious, virulent virus called "Varicella of the eye". Basically it was like the chickenpox virus but it only affects the eyes and it's extremely rare and very contagious.
D. No way. So does that mean she'll just have it once then will never get it again?
A. No. The Dr. said that if you just get it in one eye then it's somewhat manageable, but if you get it in both eyes, like Abigail, then she has to be hospitalized and they have to give her IV antiviral medication and the worst part about it is that she has to be kept in isolation for 5 days. Only people wearing big, blue suits can come in the room!
(At this point I'm kind of gasping from cracking up laughing over the phone- but I manage to convert the sounds enough to make it sound like I'm crying.) Dan keeps uttering phrases like "No way", "Oh my gosh", and "You've GOT to be kidding". He's totally buying it and feeling AWFUL. I'm just feeling great and just getting warmed up.
D. What about everyone else? Can you stay with Abigail? Who's going to watch Addie?
A. Well, (snort through my nose from laughing... again the rouse of crying) they said it might be best if both Addie and I stay with her in the room so we wouldn't come in contact with anyone either. Also, I asked the Dr. 'what about everyone we're staying with? We're staying with my sister and her family.' And the Dr. says, "Oh, well, they probably all have it already and they should immediately stop going to school and need to stay inside their home for at least 2 weeks until the virus is cleared.."
and THAT'S NOT ALL. Then the Dr. pauses and says, "By the way, does this family have any pets?" I told her about Deborah's dog, Macey. You'll never believe what she said next.
D. What?!??!!?
[I wish I could convey to you the amount of disbelief and shock in Dan's voice at this point!]
A. She said that we should immediately take Macey to the vet and she needed to be put down! I couldn't believe it...
[and I couldn't believe Dan was believing it either... how could I make this any more ridiculous???]
....she said that if Dog's get the virus then it mutates and spreads at a faster rate and it could be an outbreak of epic proportions!!!
[At this point I'm thinking 'I can't believe he hasn't caught on yet. I need to get more drastic. He's starting to get pretty stressed and seems to be feeling really bad. Might I surmise that the tears are close as well??]
D. Uggghh- this is all my fault! They have to put the dog down too? This is crazy! I can't stand this!
A. I know. I asked the Dr. where the heck the virus came from and how did we get it- and she said, "No one knows how new outbreaks occur, but the virus was first discovered when they scraped a sample of it off ............
from the side paneling of a space satellite ...............
that crashed into the desert ..............
a few years ago..."
D...................................................... Ohh You are sooo dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then I was laughing as he hung up on me. I called him back of course and we both had a good laugh about it- Finally I feel even. Only on April Fools day can I flat out lie to my husband and get away with it! Maybe someday I'll post the phone conversation of his prank on me.
3 comments:
oh my gosh, I am rolling on the floor at this moment, grasping the keyboard to type this comment! That is hilarious. I'm glad you feel paid back for his prank on you (which sounded really mean, seriously, i'd be so {expletive] if someone had punked me like that. :D
That is one of the funniest things ever!! Way to go on pulling it off!! Seriously I am laughing like a crazy person right now! I would have definitely run out of things to say way before "putting the dog down!" You are hilarious!!!
sweet prank ang! i am impressed by your creativity. dan deserved it! ha ha!
corinne
Post a Comment