Thursday, April 24, 2008

Little moments

My days are filled with special, little moments that I constantly take for granted. When the years have passed I'll find myself wishing I could remember the tiny details of these days which I now consider monotonous and endless. I'll long for the chance to tuck in a child and read her a story. I'll wish I spent a few extra moments just listening to the roaring laughter of two disobedient children keeping each other awake late at night instead of stifling it. I'll strain to remember that look of pure joy and freedom a child has right before getting in trouble for making a huge mess. Yesterday my day was filled with moments such as these. When Addie coughed from drinking she said, "My throat went down the wrong way!" Later, when I couldn't jump on the bed because of some neck problems I've been having for a couple weeks, she simply, and without thought, leaned down and kissed my neck up under my chin saying sympathetically, "There, there now sweetie... it'll be alright." Abigail gets upset everytime someone goes out side and she's not with them. She just considers herself one of the big kids. Yesterday, Addie went down backwards down the slide and she bonked her head, causing a superficial scalp wound from her hair clip. Although it wasn't deep, there was a LOT of blood and it was everywhere on her clothes and all over her head and hair. As I tried to explain why we had to stop playing because I needed to clean up all the blood, I mentioned that "we have to get all the blood out of your hair because otherwise your hair will be red", she suddenly got an excited look on her face and exclaimed with a squeal, "Oh then I'll have hair like Ariel!!!! I LOVE red, let's keep it red!" How do you explain away that kind of logic? I thought I'd better write down a few of these things so I can look back and remember the little moments :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cute.

dixonfamily said...

That was a lot of blood. Keyan was pretty concerned.