Here's a quick synopsis of our FIRST night on zone duty...
11:30pm: change baby's diaper- she's seeming a bit fussy.
12:00am: ok, now it's really time to go to bed so we can sneek in a couple hours of good sleep before the next feed... the clock is ticking.
12:20am: Taylor is sure grunting a LOT. Difficult to go to sleep. She's rooting again... Is she hungry still? I'll just try to feed her one ore time. Oh well- she fell asleep within a couple minutes of feeding... That must have been it.
12:45am: Grunting again. Check her diaper. Nothin'.
1:00am: Crying. Check diaper. Poopy. At last! Peace will follow for sure now.
1:20am: Barely falling to sleep... Grunting again. My nerves spring to alert and I'm tense waiting for the next diaper change. Dan's fast asleep. How do men sleep through all this noise???
1:30am: diaper's clean still- baby's fussy- time for the pacifier.
1:45am: I'm falling asleep holding the binki in baby's mouth... I'm getting a little delerious at this point.
2:00am: Have Dan change the baby's diaper while I get up to go to the restroom for the billionth time... (Can't help that I'm so THIRSTY!)
2:05am: Dan says he changed the diaper, but nothin' was there. We both lay down praying that Taylor will go to sleeeeeeeep!!!!!!
2:30am: Feeding Taylor. Abigail starts crying hysterically in her room. Dan goes to check on her.
2:45am: Abigail is still crying her little head off. I hear the bathtub running. Oh no. I have an idea of what this might mean. I finish feeding baby and go to investigate. Suspicions confirmed. Abigail has vomited all over her bed. Dan's bathing her. She's still scared to death of what just happened and is half asleep. There's no calming her down. I change all the bedding/rinse the stuff out/gag myself/start a load of laundry/check on Dan and Bird. Poor girl. I'm so tired Everywhere hurts. My milk's in. Ouch.
3:00am: Grandma Mimi wakes up- but I tell her to go back to bed, knowing that we will be out of commission tomorrow and will all be needing naps. (I pray inside, quietly thanking God that my mom is here to be there in the morning to turn things over to!) She reluctantly goes back to bed.
3:15am: Addie's out of bed asking, "What in the world is going on???" Put Addie back to bed.
3:17am: Getting new bedding on Abigail's bed- explaining "The Throw-up Bowl" system to Abigail (just in case...) Addie starts crying in her room. Ask Addie what's wrong. "No one is saying , "It's ok" to ME!!!" Reassure Addie that she's loved and that "it's ok".
3:20am: "Goodnight Abigail... we love you sweetie..." CROAK!!! "Quick grab the bowl!!!" Too late. half of it hit the bed and Bird's new jammies. At least the other half hit the bowl. Change the bed and give Abigail another full bath. Put Abigail back to bed with bowl by side.
3:45am: Sanitize EVERYTHING we possibly touched with Clorox Bleach.
3:55am: Change our clothes. Hand sanitizer hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer. Back to bed. This night is ridiculous. Needless to say our patience is running a bit thin. My body's soooo sore. Engorgement! Stitches! Uterine cramping! Nausea! Sleep Deprived! Ahhhhh!!!!!
4:00am: Dan wakes up to a diaper being chucked at his head. SOMEONE put the diaper on retarded and it slipped down over her bum and she peed all over her bed. Dan changed the bed and the baby. Time to feed the baby again anyway. (Side note- I later apologized for throwing the diaper at Dan's head... and the next diaper I put on her ALSO slipped down and was around her ankles when we checked her. She's just so tiny!) Feed Taylor again for good luck.
4:10am: The bed is shaking from Dan and I chuckling to ourselves about the whole night's fiasco. Who knew 3 kids could be so much fun? Taylor Belle is FINALLY sleeping and no binki to worry about putting back in her mouth- fussiness is over. Time to SLEEEEEEEEEP.
4:30am: Almost asleep... wake up startled to a coughing sound. "Dan RUN!!!!" He runs into the room. Abigail's perfectly asleep. No throw-up. Addie's asleep. Taylor's asleep. Dan and I are NOT asleep.
5:00am: ZZZzzzzzzz..... Addie walks in to our room and states that she can't sleep because she's having nightmares. Mommy tells her that, "Daddy will hug all the scaries out," and to go over to Daddy's side of the bed. Daddy hugged her and sends her back to bed... Addie protests that her foot hurts. "Sleep will take care of that," says Daddy, "Go back to bed."
5:15am: The whole house is quiet. All are sleeping.
7:20am: Taylor cries. Time to eat. Hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer...
It's official. INITIATION STATUS: COMPLETE!
Mimi gave each of the girls little baby dollies to cuddle, feed, burp and care for!



12 comments:
holy cow that made me laugh really hard! congratulations on your zone initiation!!!!!!!!!
she is gorgeous and looks just like baby addie to me!
hope you get some sleep once in a while (one can hope, right?)
Oh boy...I can't WAIT for all of this! I'm just counting down the days of pure chaos...which I love :)
Well, at least you got 30 minutes of sleep...right? :)
Sorry Abigale got sick!
Me too- it's was so random because the next day she was fine. Never had a fever/cough/nothin'. Must have been something she ate. Just was funny how it all "hit the fan" at the same time!
I love the name Tayor! Colby and I talked about it when I was pregnant with Kelsey. Colby wouldn't use it since we have a niece named Taylor. She's so cute! I'm glad to hear everything went well.
Wow. Hang in there!
This totally cracked me up, Angela, because I have TOTALLY been there. You have to try to laugh or you will cry, which sometimes helps, too! I'm just amazed that you were able to laugh about it so soon! Taylor is so beautiful. What a sweet little girl. I hope you start feeling like a human being again sometime in the near future!
Loved the play by play. It can only get better from here, right? Right!?
oh man... we had one of those throw up nights recently, but it doesn't even compare to that. I wish we were a little closer so that we could come help. Little Taylor is beautiful btw! Sleep will come eventually, just give it a few more weeks. :)
Taylor Belle(love her name) is a beauty!! She looks like her big sis Addie. Loved the play by play of the first night home. Hilarious! Home you are healing and doing well.
Love ya!!
I know that you didn't get sleep and I feel oh...so bad. But I have to say that I was laughing too. A very very tough night. I am sure that is not the last one you will see either. Congratulations on the new baby girl! We will have to say 'Taylor 1' and 'Taylor 2' when we get together now! Congrats again!
By the way...the last comment and this one is not Mitch but Jill. I gues I am on his. Dumb me.
Sounds like fun. I can't even imagine having a toddler on top of our newborn, not that I do anything, I'm always stuck here at the stupid hospital. I'm just glad that mother-in-law is here to keep my wife's sanity intact.
Post a Comment