Out of the mouth of Babes…
Normally, when we put the girls to bed- it is followed by laughter and giggles/jumping and trying to escape out of bed/crying for “one more story” or bargaining because “I’m thirsty!” But tonight I heard the girls talking in bed- but they were actually having a conversation. I’ve never heard them talk like this- so I was curious and just sat down on the stairs, hidden, and listened to them talking. It took about 2 seconds to realize that this was a conversation I wanted to keep forever. I RAN to get my computer and started typing everything they said. Here it is:
Addie- For this whole night stay up and don’t go to sleep- cause I’m going to talk to you all about God and the things of god- and Jesus. And the Holy Ghost. It’s inside of us you know. Inside of our bodies.
Abigail-Where’s the holy ghost?
Addie- He’s up in heaven- except when we’re baptize its in our body.
But he can still talk to us and whisper things- but you got to be baptized.
Even Jesus was baptized even though he never did anything bad like when we do something bad we’re in timeout. But Jesus never did that and even he was baptized.
The Holy Ghost will be in our bodies to whisper- like when a storm comes and you’re outside and the Holy Ghost whispers, “Go inside a storm is coming!!!” and you go inside and are safe.
Abigail- I’m not going to be scared of it, I’m just going to be nice to it. Where is it?
Addie- Listen to me. Just don’t do bad stuff. There’s a kid at school and his mom and dad smoke and they might die. Cause smoking is really, really bad for you and YOU could die. When you ever see a thing on the ground like a flag with a white and orange thing on it DON’T pick it up or eat it -it’s BAD and you should NEVER pick it up. Cause that’s smoking.
I know all about all the things you should never do.
I know about the Holy Ghost- and that’s one of the things,
And I know about God, that’s 2 of the things
And I know I’m going to be good every day and that’s the 3 things I’m going to do. I’m going to be baptized when I’m 8, and I’m going to listen to Mom and do whatever she asks me to and I’m going to be good every day and listen to the spirit when it asks me to do and I’m going to listen to god and that’s 7 things I’m going to do.
If you be good every day then when you’re 7 or 8 or 9 years old you can be too.
Abigail- I’m scared
Addie- NO you can’t be scared of the Holy Ghost – it’s in your body! And if you’re scared of it then it will come out of your body and it will be scared of YOU.
You can’t do anything bad or it will go out of your body. And you don’t want the Holy Ghost scared of you.
Abigail- Maybe it has teeth.
Addie- What?
Abigail- Maybe it has teeth to bite me
Addie- Who has teeth?
Abigail- The Holy Ghost.
Addie- No the Holy Ghost doesn’t have teeth to bite you- It is white it has a mouth and a nose and eyes and that’s it- just four things that it has on it’s body and that’s it…. It’s a GHOST.
We’re going to talk about this for a long time and you can’t go to sleep.
The Holy Ghost be’s nice to us- he doesn’t do anything mean.
See that bright star?
That’s where Jesus and Mary live.
Abigail- I don’t see it!
Addie- Go out of your bed and look out the window. It’s that very bright star that shines I your eyes. See it? What star is the brightest and the biggest? THAT’s Jesus’. He goes up in the moon! He makes the sun, and even makes us and even makes animals- even makes dinosaurs- but the dinosaurs died before he made us.
Abigail- Did he make the Holy Ghost?
Addie- No the Holy Ghost made himself. He made the scriptures.
Abigail- Why is the Holy Ghost up in heaven?
Addie- Cause that’s where it lives!
Abigail- But where do birds live?
Addie- Up in the trees. Do you know where bears live?
Abigail- No
Addie- In caves. Very dark caves. Sometimes they get out because they’re getting out of bed and making their bed perfect. Back outside and back inside and back outside… it’s very tiring for bears. They don’t live in the desert- it’s too hot. And believe me they don’t want to live there.
Addie- Camels live in the desert- but they’re not hot because they’re naked. Hahahaha.
Abigail- Where do babies live? Did he make babies?
Addie- Yeah- he made the babies. And they all grow’d up. Mommy and daddy and me and you grow’d up- everyone except for Taylor- she’s not growd up.
At this point, Dan came home and the girls heard him and started whispering. This was the cutest conversation ever. I’m so lucky to be the earthly mother of these precious little spirits. It amazes me to know what these little ones actually listen to....
9 comments:
OH. MY. GOSH! This is THE CUTEST thing ever!!! I have the chills!
Plus, I'm totally laughing at the part about the teeth! ha ha!
So sweet...glad you wrote this all down!
dude, abigail's comments made me laugh out loud every time. precious! good call on being scriptorian.
wow that is awesome!
This has to be the best post I have ever read! They are so sweet. It's amazing what Addie has learned in her short little life. I love the fact that she is sharing this with Abigail. These moments are definitely what makes me so happy about being a mom. Such sweet spirits!! Thanks for sharing Ela.
This is the most precious thing ever! I'm so glad you were able to write it all down. They will LOVE reading this when they're older. Isn't it fascinating to hear from them what they really understand from the things you've tried to reach them? So cute! I hope you guys are doing well!
What a good idea to capture one of their conversations! I crack up when Jaylin is going on and on to Nolan and then he responds with whatever he is thinking about and clearly not getting what she is saying. Cute cute. You will have this little moment frozen in time.
That is adorable!
Okay Ang,
That is just the most precious thing ever!! What sweet little girls you have. What a treasure to have that written down. You guys are doing such a good job raising some amazing little people!!
Sheesh, the next time we all get together our kids are going to be so grown up. Crazy!! Miss you guys!
I had to read this again. It is so funny! I'm so glad you grabbed your laptop and started typing as soon as you hear this! I wish I always had a tape recorder with me to catch stuff Ruby says. It's priceless!
Post a Comment