Friday, February 27, 2009

IV Queen

Dear journal, Some may call themselves a dancing queen, a drama queen, or even a dairy queen. If I had to label myself as any sort of queen, I think I'd choose "IV Queen". For the last year, I've been out of practice with the needle work at my job. I have no idea where this obsession with putting needles in to veins came from, but I've always loved it. Everyone says, "how can you be a pediatric nurse and hurt all the kids?" The answer? I don't know. But I love poking veins! Many times I'll start a conversation with Dan by holding his hand and tenderly bouncing my fingertips on one of his big, juicy veins and saying, "mmmm, I like to stick THAT vein!" Maybe this strange fascination comes from my own insecurities of having huge veins that any phlebotomist would drool over. Getting poked in MY veins is the only time I can actually be proud of my slithery veiny arms! I know it's bad when I'm sitting in church sharing a hymn book with another person and instead of singing I'm assessing how easy or difficult it would be to thread a catheter into their veins. Lately at work I've finally felt like I've gotten my "groove" back with starting IV's. 6 months ago I couldn't have started one if my life depended on it (I was a little out of practice)... But now I've got the knack back and am getting to be a "one-timer" even on the tiniest of baby veins! The point? If you ever have to get an IV or blood drawn, make sure your nurse has a glint of excitement and seems slightly ecstatic about poking a hole in your skin. Otherwise you'll end up being one of those people that has horror stories about how many times the nurse had to poke them to try and find a vein... Oh, and p.s., if someone's poking you and keeps blaming your veins for not being able to get the IV... Maybe it's time to let someone else have a go. Do you have horror stories?

7 comments:

Sara said...

This post is hilarious. My MIL has that same glint in her eye as you described. She has been a nurse for over 35 years and is currently working as the nursing supervisor at the Hayward Kaiser. She is still called in as back up to get those pesky veins that no one else can stick. She loves it. ;)
My sister is a NICU nurse and last Sunday she was holding our neice ( 2 months old) and I caught her holding the babies fist looking for a vein. She confessed and said its just habit. LOL
My mom and I have those veins that hide, collapse, and disappear for the nurses. hah hah

danwundo said...

At first I thought you were the 4 Queen, because I have a secret love of Roman numerals.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, Wundo's comment is hilarious.


We need to make you a crown with a needle in the middle of it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Adrienne... I look at people's veins like that too, but in my case since I work in oncology and everyone has ports, I tend to think "Wow... I think I might actually be able to get that one!" And then it's just the thought that excites me because I'm too much of a chicken to actually try it anytime. So how was the cruise??

jamie said...

yes. the nurse who stared my pit. drip this time unsuccessfully stuck me four times before she finally went and found someone else to do it. turns out she was still in training. i'm glad she decided to get some help--i was pretty bruised up as it was!

Comarsh Crew said...

Ok... next time I sit next to you in church I'm totally going to watch you search my veins! You would be good working for red cross too. They use a huge needle!

heather said...

once when they were taking it out, my vein came out of my hand for a little bit...gross! now i never look when they take it out.