Saturday, February 19, 2011

CHICKENPOX

Hey everyone.

Addie has the Chickenpox.  and it's quite possible both my other children have it as well.  At least they've been exposed to it already. 
Addie went to school a couple days ago and came home saying her face itched- she had about 4 tiny, red spots on her cheek.  We thought at first that she'd been bitten by a bug- the next day she had another tiny, red dot on her leg that itched.  I thought for sure we had bed bugs!  I studied up on bed bugs on the internet, and after reading everything I was convinced this was the case.  I stripped their WHOLE room- washed the linens and clothes in HOT water, dried their pillows in the dryer on hot, and sterilized the entire room- every nook and cranny.  I was freaking out.  Then, this morning she woke up with about 9 more dots on her chest, and a blister-like one on her leg!  THAT's when I really panicked.  I knew that it was viral.  We checked out the other kids and Abigail had one tiny red dot on her cheek, and so does Taylor.  Dan mentioned chickenpox and measles... We took them to the Dr's today and BAM- Chickenpox. 




Addie and Abigail have been vaccinated.  So luckily she has only had a very MILD case- with no fever, no fluid-filled blisters or pustules.... Just a few red, itchy dots. 

However, stupid, educated, me.... decided that I'd wait to get Taylor vaccinated- since I was never exposed to the measels, mups, rubella, or chickenpox at work... Why make my baby get shots when it's not necessary?  Besides- she could get crazy side effects from the vaccines!!!!  (I don't really think this- but a LOT of other people do- and perhaps someone reading this will think that very thing... but I do NOT.  I simply didn't want her to have to get shots at such a young age when she didn't need them.  I planned to vaccinate her when/if I put her in daycare or preschool.  DUMB!!!) 
Anyway, so poor Taylor is NOT vaccinated against this crappy virus- and she will get it.  So sad.  I hope anyone reading this changes their mind on not getting their kids vaccinated.  JUST DO IT.   LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!!! It's not worth this.

The virus incubates for 21 days... which means that if it wants, it can hang out in Taylor's body for 21 days before it decides to become full-blown chickenpox.  No travel for a month.  Which means that our trip to Peru (planned on leaving in less than 48 hours!!!!!) is CANCELED.


We are so sad about everything.  But the most thing that kills me is that we've exposed everyone to it
Please watch your kids for signs and symptoms of the Chickenpox... I don't know who she got it from.  Does anyone know of any other cases????? 

Remember:  even if your child has been vaccinated against chickenpox, they can still get it.  It will be a mild case.  That's what Addie has- she was vaccinated.  I'm including pics of what the spots look like.

Even if you see ONE red dot on their cheek or body- it could indicate the presence of the disease. 

PLEASE keep your kids home from everything if this happens.  They are contagious as long as the dots are there and until they scab over. 

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me or email. 

I'm so sorry to have to post this- I just want to make sure it doesn't spread to anyone else and make sure everyone's informed! 

What terrible timing!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you are wondering, you can go to this website and get more info:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/dis-faqs-gen.htm


No comments: