I grew up with a father (bless you dad) that was VERY frugal, and NEVER wasted anything (except maybe an occasional hunk of moldy cheese or bread. The rest of the cheese/bread was cut-away and eaten.) I learned to be picky about how much of a paper towel I used, recycling the toilet paper that was strewn all over our yard and trees, how to tell if your food in the fridge was REALLY too old or just a LITTLE bit too old... I learned that while most people would throw away an empty, squeezed-to-death tube of toothpaste, if you'd been taught by my dad, then you could probably get away with another month's worth of good, quality toothpaste- if you know how to empty the tube properly. Also- if your chapstick is not scraping away your dead/dried lips, then it still has life left in it. There were MANY important, waste-saving techniques we were taught to living a waste-free life.
The very most CLASSIC act of conserving... the issue that often caused an equal amount of fear and laughter amongst us kids... the very ESSENCE of my Dad... was the topic of garbage space conservation. We all knew never to put a bunch of empty fast-food containers/drink cups/boxes/etc in the garbage in the kitchen...especially if the garbage was recently emptied. We also knew that not stacking the smaller garbage inside of the larger, empty containers meant certain death. And NO one- I mean NO ONE (not even friends who frequented our house) put empty gallon-milk containers in the garbage. I don't even need to explain this one.
Well, my MIL was visiting us this week. In preparation for her coming, I made sure to have certain things ready for her that I know she would get bothered by if they weren't ready... This included several things that are against my father's teachings... These included:
-Having a FULL roll of paper towels ready for her because she dries her hands with them. Uses about 20 a day.
-Having Jergens lotion in every bathroom (has to be jergens or it's not right)
-Having a couple towels (a new one every other day for bathing) ready for her so she doesn't have to ask for them. (We used a towel until it smelled moldy when I grew up. Still do. Is that gross?)
-Had an EMPTY garbage can and a FULL roll of toilet paper in the guest bathroom. I don't know how or why, but the garbage is always FULL of toilet paper, and the whole roll is used with in a few days. Is it a runny nose? Tears while brushing teeth? I don't know. Just know to do it.
So, to make this long story complete...
During her stay, I broke. I just accepted my Dad-ness and gave in. Keep in mind that I am making fun of myself and not my MIL.......
-I hid the paper towels.
-Didn't empty the full garbage can or get a new roll of toilet paper for the guest b.r. when it was full and barely any paper left. (I'm sorry but it had only been 4 days!!!)
-Stopped at the second bath towel. (Enough is enough! They are CLEAN!)
-and when she put her empty Cheesecake Factory boxes in the newly emptied garbage can... THAT's when I found myself grumbling the SAME words I've heard out of my Dad's mouth time and time again while growing up... as I removed the garbage-filling boxes out of the kitchen garbage can and grumpily took them outside to the garbage can. Dan just started laughing and called me "Mike". I laughed- and didn't stop myself- just kept going. It's the conservative thing to do.
So thanks, Dad, for teaching me these things. I personally think they are all things everyone should do to avoid wasting... Just never thought I'd find myself saying that!
I appreciate the "you"-ness in me Dad. Looking forward to my kids giggling at the same things I giggled at.
Love you!
1 comment:
dude, quit it with the paper towel and toilet paper misering! it's not worth the $2 you save! he he he.
i'm relieved i'm staying in a hotel when we come visit you... no toilet paper limits! BWAHAHAHAHA! :) i can honestly say i have no idea how often we change the toilet paper roll - it may be more often than every 4 days though! (shock and horror! don't tell mike.)
great post, very funny. we all have our "things" and yours are pretty mild.
p.s. i don't want to know what my "things" are...
Post a Comment